Monday, September 28, 2015

Journal entry 4


Journal entry 4

Today’s lesson was very difficult and I couldn’t achieve the objectives desired for this class which was really important to me. First of all, when I arrived to the school I was told that the students were only having 3 hours of lessons because they had a special event of love and friendship celebration. So, students had the opportunity to go to the school without the regular school uniform. Besides, they were in charge of everything related to the meeting. As a result, most of the students were very excited about the party and the central topic for them was obviously the party. However, I decided to stick to my plan because I thought it was good enough for catching students’ attention. I relied on the fact that this lesson was based on video games with the objective of improving students’ reading comprehension.

When I started the lesson, I showed to the students a video and some pictures related to the video game in order to help them with some vocabulary and motivated them with the lesson. However, most of the students were still focus on the party but I didn’t give up because I thought the main activity with the video game was good enough to make the lesson by its own. Then, I kept giving them instructions in English and showed some commands of the gameplay. To some point I could focus their attention on the lesson while the students were playing the video and reading until music, laugh and noise started to come in from different places.

After that point there was no return. It was very difficult to make the students finished the activity. Most of them were really engaged with the school activity and they were eager to start decorating and preparing themselves for the party. My last resort was to leave the post reading activity as homework. Nevertheless, I really feel the main goals of the lessons were not achieved. After reflecting on this event, I think I should have made changes to the lesson plan or re-schedule the activity because I have had some previous experiences with the same results. However, my big mistake was to take for granted that an activity considered important by me, was good enough by its own for working without help. Finally, this experience helped to always bear in mind that different options must be always set beforehand.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Mauro, as I see it you have made a good reflection about your class. In fact you have highlighted the importance of teacher's awareness on students motivation. Although you faced that situation you never stopped trying to do best. Finally, althogh videogaming is very interesting to students some times teachers should plan with the help of students, They can offer you ideas for next classes and they will feel part of its learning, as a result they are going to be motivated to develop activites that they help to build with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mauro,
    School activities are one on the most common problems that we as teachers have. I think that you feel really upset when you realized that your students were engaged in the activity, but you have to stop for the celebration. That is usual and you can provide more oportunities for you students to complete the activity. the learning that you obtained from this lesson was enriching for your teaching practice, sometimes we tend to take for granted many things with our students, teaching is a surprising job, sometimes what you think is the best activity is not for your students, or even the oposite.
    thanks for sharing your information....

    ReplyDelete