Saturday, September 26, 2015

Journal entry 2

Today’s lesson was carried out with a group of students from sixth grade and I think this lesson was very difficult to apply correctly. First of all, I had to teach this lesson with these students after they had an unusual long break which offered to the students some games and activities carried out by some external personnel. When the students entered to the classroom they were still too active and wanted to keep playing. However, I entered to the classroom with the strong conviction to complete some work left about the present simple in English. So, I started with some examples of routines from several famous people and tried to give them instructions for the rest of the class. After some time, I realized that nobody was doing the activity but talking about the games from the break. As a result most of the students didn’t finish the activity or care about it. After the class was over I was just blaming the students’ attitudes towards the work but at night I could have a second thought.
I realized that I didn’t take into consideration the excitement these young learners have with these games and activities. Then, I came to the conclusion that I wasn’t prepared for catching students’ attention after an event like that. I was just thinking on completing the activity without taking into account that they are just kids and their level of concentration is not easy to handle. That’s why the activity was pretty much a disaster.
Finally, I reflected on what I must do when something similar happen again. I came to the
 
conclusion that simple warm activities which English lessons offer are quite enough catching
 
students’ attention. So, what I need to do next time is to be more touchy on events like these ones
 
and be always prepared with activities which helped me to motivate my students from the very
 
beginning of the lesson.    

No comments:

Post a Comment